The Expiatory Chapel: a Commemorative Site
In 1815, King Louis XVI’s younger brother came to power: he would be known as Louis XVIII. The new king not only wanted to facilitate the grieving of those affected by the deaths of the Revolution, but atone for the sins committed during this period as well. Consequently, he had an expiatory a chapel built on the former site of the Madeleine cemetery. Indeed, it was here where Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette as well as many others, anonymous or famous like Olympe de Gouges, Madame Roland, the Duke of Orléans (or Philippe-Egalité), Madame du Barry or Charlotte Corday, were buried after being guillotined. The chapel’s first stone was placed in 1815, but it was not finished until eleven years later in 1826. A Royalist commemorative site, the Expiatory chapel was then seen as a threat to the Republic. In the 19th century, many planned on destroying it.
29 rue Pasquier