Who could guess that this building dates from the end of the 18th century? This rotunda was only the central pavilion of a vast complex that no longer exists today, made up of the Saint-Martin tollgate, located towards the current rue de Flandre, and the Pantin tollgate, which was located at the entrance of the current avenue Jean-Jaurès. These two tollgates were connected to the rotunda via long fences. Like the 52 others built as of 1785, they were used to control the transportation of merchandise entering Paris, in order to tax it more efficiently.
Ledoux rotunda, Place de la bataille de Stalingrad