When the Place Vendôme was a Revolutionary Square
Today associated with luxury, the Place Vendôme is, nevertheless, a symbol of the French Revolution. In November 1789, when the king left Versailles and moved into the Tuileries, premises were needed for all of the ministers who followed him. The minister of Justice moved into the Hôtel de la Grande Chancellerie (currently #13), where it is still today. In order to house the offices of several committees, the Assembly also had to rent a private mansion at #4, in the amount of 15,000 French livres. Still lacking room, it had to rent a second space in 1790, located at #9. In 1793, the square was renamed “Place des Piques,” in tribute to the sans-culottes’ emblematic weapon.