Everyone to the Royal Treasury!
In 1789, was there really once a furniture warehouse on the large Place Louis XV? Not really. The current Hôtel de la Marine owes its name to the fact that in October 1789, when the king, the court and the government left Versailles for the Tuileries, a portion of the Ministry of the Navy relocated here. However, at this time, the building was known above all for being where the Crown’s rich collections were stored. Located right next to the Royal Palace of the Tuileries, it had contained, since 1770, precious furniture and artworks often inherited from former kings. And for that matter, the public could visit it at certain times during the year. Specifically, many weapons and pieces of armor were stored here: it was a way for the Kings of France to confirm their military power.
Hôtel de la Marine, 2 place de la Concorde