A Palace for the Representatives of the People
The “Bourbon palace” owes its name to its owners: the Princes of Condé, Dukes of Bourbon, who were members of the royal family. Like other royal or princely property, it was confiscated by the State and nationalized in 1791. It then changed names: it was called the House of the Revolution. For some time, it became a warehouse and then a prison. In 1794, the National School of Public Works, the future Ecole polytechnique, took up residence here. Four years later in 1798, deputies from the Council of Five Hundred moved into the premises.
Palais Bourbon, Quai d'Orsay at the end of the Pont de la Concorde