Public Places during the Revolution
Located along the boulevards, as well as between the center of Paris and the northern neighborhoods, the Saint-Martin and Saint-Denis gates are no longer the cold monuments that they once were during the Ancien Régime: seen as public buildings, they have been, since the Revolution, used by Parisians. Hollow and flanked by small pavilions, these two gates were used to house a variety of shops: vegetable and beverage merchants, as well as hardware stores relocated here. The Ministry of the Interior also dreamed of housing soldiers here in order to ensure public order. It should be mentioned that as of 1789, they became sites for gatherings, debates and protests, specifically during periods of unrest.
Saint-Denis Gate, 24-26 boulevard Saint-Denis