An Irish Republic in the middle of Paris
At the beginning of 1789, 70 young Irishmen were enrolled in school on the Montagne Sainte-Geneviève at the “Irish College,” then located on the rue du Cheval-Vert. Opened in 1775, it educated the sons of good families hoping to become priests, physicians, educators or military officers. The institution was not very revolutionary: as fervent Catholics, most of the students returned to Ireland after 1789. However, in 1792, when the monarchy fell, half of the 23 remaining students overthrew their superiors: the school became one of the sites of the rebellion that Irish republicans were then plotting against the British Crown.
Irish College, 5 rue des Irlandais