The Guillotine at Nation
After having been used on the Place de Grève, Place du Carrousel, Place de la Révolution (currently Concorde), followed by the Place de la Bastille, the guillotine was moved on June 14, 1794 to the Place du Trône Renversé, currently the Place de l’Ile-de-la-Réunion. Faced with the weariness and criticisms of Parisians in regards to all this spilled blood, the authorities wanted to distance the scaffold from the city center. It stayed here for a month and a half, until July 27, 1794 when it was then brought back to the Place de la Révolution: a spectacular location was needed for the execution of Robespierre and his entourage.
Place de l’Ile de la Réunion, to the south of the toll building