The Tollgate and Columns on the Place de la Nation
Why was the Place de la Nation called the “Throne Gate?” In 1660, two thrones had been placed there to celebrate the triumphal arrival of Louis XIV and Marie-Theresa of Austria. In 1789, the columns were not simply decorative elements: 28 meters high, they showed travelers the location of the tollgate where they would have to pay a tax if they wanted to bring their merchandise through the Saint-Antoine neighborhood. On each side of the column, two symmetrical buildings were used by toll agents. Hated by the people, most of the tollgates and offices were destroyed during the Revolution or the 19th century.
Place de l'Ile de la Réunion (where the avenue du Trône intersects with the boulevard de Picpus)