The Château des Ternes
In Paris, speculators from the 18th century destroyed more castles than revolutionaries. Owner of the Chateau des Ternes since 1778, the rich architect Samson-Nicolas Lenoir was not at all worried about the Revolution. The “Village des Thermes” (Village of Thermal Waters), as it was then called, was so well known for its pure air that physicians sent their patients here for therapy. Lenoir greatly profited from this: he divided up and sold the domain in smaller lots, gutted the building in order to make a street (the current rue Bayen) and set up an iron factory in the outbuildings. In 1802, when Lenoir sold the residence to another American speculator named Codman, not much was left of the original building… In the following decades, the rest was dismantled in order to construct other buildings and even an amusement park in 1816. Luckily, the part that remains today is registered as a historical monument.
17-19 rue Pierre Demours