From the Palace of the Kings to the National Museum (the Louvre Museum)
Abandoned by kings since the departure of Louis XIV for Versailles in 1682, the Louvre received several proposals in order to change it into a museum in the second half of the 18th century. On August 10, 1793, the revolutionaries succeeded in carrying out this project. Their objective was to democratize art, improve the conservation of artworks as well as provide access to the nation’s great collections: inaugurated on August 10, 1793 during the grand Festival of Union, the Central Museum of Art was opened during the week to artists who wanted to study here. On Sundays, it was open to the public.
Place du Carrousel