The Committee of Public Safety (Pavillon de Flore)
It embodies the dark legend of the “Terror.” Created on April 6, 1793 in order to pass important laws faster, the Committee of Public Safety, controlled by the Assembly, was a group of 12 elected deputies with renewable terms. Decisions were always made collectively and its meetings were held in a building that is currently part of the Louvre, in rooms that overlooked the gardens. During the Revolution, it was still a part of the Tuileries: the Pavillon de Flore, renamed the “Pavilion of Equality” in 1793. Other committees also held their meetings here: deputies only had to walk across a couple of hallways in order to reach the Assembly.
Pavillon de Flore, avenue du général Lemonnier