The French Guards' Barracks
In 1789, the “Depot of the French Guard” was located here: large barracks for the royal troops. However, starting in June 1789, some of these soldiers started disobeying orders and joined up with insurgents. On July 12th, it was here where they even turned against the Royal-Allemand regiment, who, in charge of containing popular discontent, started to fire into the crowd. With the Revolution, the regiment was dissolved. In 1792, on the location of the former barracks, the architect Vestier built the building that still stands there today. It first served as a military teaching school before becoming a singing school. It is one of the rare Parisian buildings that was built during the Revolution.
38 boulevard des Italiens / 4 rue de la Chaussée d’Antin